Tuesday, November 06, 2007

trees & dinner

Tonite I climbed a tree, in the dark. It's a 300 year old oak tree. Some of it's branches sweep to the ground and that's where I started. I am not as young as I used to be and so I had some fear. I crawled along a branch so thick that I could not reach my arms around it. I sat there, in the cold wind....thinking. Then I went home to have dinner.

We had soup. Soup & bread. The bread is the reason I climbed the tree. We sat around the table, my family and I for over an hour after dinner; talking about the poor, the hurt, the politicians and judgement.

We laughed, we were silent and we broke bread. I could not have been happier when my sons stated to the others at the table "they should have been here for dinner last nite!", meaning the conversation was good the nite before as well.

I am almost ready to climb again.

No comments: