Tuesday, October 09, 2007

eye contact

several years ago...more then I care to admit, I was coaching my daughter in soccer and we had a girl on the team, Lindsay. Lindsay was fairly meek and mild and just a tad clumsy. We would practice being fierce and WANTING the ball/game. We always had fun and our main purpose was to enjoy the game although I must tell.....there were several games that I took too seriously and whenever I took them to seriously we would generally lose.

One day, during a game with these 8-9 year old girls.....Lindsay had a bit of a breakaway that she dribbled down the sideline and kept going, and KEPT going till she was close enough to be considered a serious threat and me with my normal passion screaming to KICK THE BALL.....

SHE DID, and it went past the keeper and Lindsay from across the entire field turned and made eye contact with me as her team swarmed her for making her first ever goal and Lindsay and I shared a special moment of achievement.
I will never forget that moment.

Today a man asked me for some money to get something to eat.......said he had 22 cents and he needed more. I had no change to offer him. I went about my business and realized that I would again be passing him and I recalled that I had a boatload of change in my pack. I gathered the change and palmed it. I went back to him.....he barely recognized me from earlier....I said hey man....I found some change.....his eyes met mine and he smiled. The kind of smile that is real-genuine-authentic and man oh man.....did we have serious eye contact as he REALLY thanked me.


Make eye contact with people and you will get to know their heart.

No comments: