Sunday, November 07, 2010

What I'm reading...

Junger wrote the Perfect Storm which was an amazing book and forced me to keep him on my radar as an author to watch.

A few of his books have come with less positive feedback in the aftermath of the storm and I have laid him low on the priority list enjoying the occasional magazine article and such, but keeping the books at bay till now.

WAR- I saw this at the local Barnes, ordered it from Amazon the next day and got it shortly thereafter. It has certainly been a quick moving intriguing read, but not quite as gripping as I anticipated, but certainly as telling.
War is an interesting concept, Junger is keeping an unbiased thought process for which I am grateful and even though I am not done reading I feel compelled to share some wisdom.

EXCERPT- "They have a huge shoulder-fired rocket called a Javelin, for example, that can be steered into the window of a speeding car half a mile away. Each Javelin round costs $80,000.00 and the idea that it's fired by a guy who doesn't make that in a year at a guy who doesn't make that in a lifetime is somehow so outrageous..."

So, I wonder....how many Javelin rockets have we fired and how many have we purchased and what if we put the money spent on that towards the overall good of people?

Yeah....they bombed us....first? I don't know, but I learned in 6th grade from the assistant principal, Mr. Parker that "two wrongs, don't make a right".

Peace,

Tate

No comments: