Saturday, July 05, 2008

tv---today's idol?

The 1st time I saw a color television was in 1967; I was 6 years old and had walked 1/2 a block to my friends house to ask him to come outside to play. I knocked on the door and he agreed to come out, but had to put on his sneaks so he asked me into his living room where it was very dark and in the corner was the tv with the Flintstones on and for the first time I saw a color television---Fred's suit was NOT grey, but ORANGE and Dino was PURPLE---WOW!!! When I got home I excitedly told my parents of this NEW contraption and I don't really remember much after that.

When my beautiful wife and I got married in 1982 we lived in an apartment with dreams of a family and a house and in order to establish credit to eventually get a house and those wonderful things called credit cards we needed to establish credit at ground level....this meant going to Strawbridge and Clothier where my wife's dad worked part-time and buying a 19" Sony TV (they were just about all color by now). The deal was if we got approved for a 30-60-90 day credit program...then we will have started the wonderful credit lifestyle. But we had to pay off the TV in that time period or else...I am not sure what "or else" was, but it wasn't good! So for 600 dollars we established our credit. This wonderful credit has it's purposes; good/bad, but today we have a house and today we looked at the amazing Panasonic TH50PZ85U for a mere 2,150 dollars on sale with no interest for 36 months if you don't miss a payment.
So....what have I become?
Really....who and what am I to spend the money on something like this?
No, I haven't pulled the trigger just yet, but I am about to....I think......
Stuff like this really drives me crazy----for 2,150 we could support SIX Compassion International kids and make a real difference in the world at least for them..... or me?
?



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya--I equate every purchase (pending or completed)as to how many Compassion children I can sponsor or for how long I could sponsor them.