Tuesday, April 24, 2012

vanity

Wow, what a day, what a week, what an hour. 


Yes, my psyche is like a bicycle wheel...sometimes the spokes point up and sometimes down, but whatever the case they keep going round and round. 


Do I begin by telling you how every time I listen to Tom Waits it is like discovering a new exotic faraway land, do I tell you how Rodrigo y Gabrielle last Sat were some of the passionate people I have ever met and that seeing Taylor's picture with Gabby was a special moment for me or how about that Jim's cheesesteak I had this weekend, or an incredible guitar lesson yesterday or, or, or, or, or, or, isn't all of this nonsense,  vanity?


Of course it is. The past two weeks have included lavish days and nights filled with, in my opinion with lavish meals and yet....it is naught but vanity. 


Solomon says it is a striving after the wind, vanity. 


 " I hated all my toil in which I toil under the sun, seeing that I must leave it to the man who will come after me, and who knows whether he will be wise or a fool?  Yet he will be master of all for which I toiled and used my wisdom under the sun. This also is vanity. " Solomon


The word of God so inspires my very life. When I drift from it, I am lost and then when I am in it....I am safe and sound and content. 


I really love the following words of Solomon's  - "There is nothing better for a person then that he should eat and drink and find enjoyment in his toil. This also, I saw, is from the hand of God, for apart from him who can eat or who can have enjoyment?" 


excerpts taken from Ecclesiastes ESV


This past Sunday a young man gave up his life for true life, being baptized in the name of Jesus and of this I was witness and if I should boast let me boast in Christ for He is good. 





No comments: