Saturday, September 23, 2006

obligations

TODAY I have no SERIOUS obligations. I have been asked to attend Elizabeth's b-day party ( i think she is 3) and my daughter and I may look at some vehicles. This is the 1st time in a long time I have no obligations to others; to be or do something for someone and frankly, it is super sweet.

I am going to plant a few plants in the garden!
Completed in the afternoon
I am going to remove the window unit air conditioners!
1. 11:47 AM EST Completed; four window unit air conditioners removed to storage in basment. We own the largest colossal window unit ever built...it took Taylor and I to remove it.

I am going to measure around my bedroom windows and closet to purchase wood to put up around their perimeter!
I measured and went to the exotic wood store...pine is not my even in my thought process. It has been determined that I need much better measurments and a serious thinking cap as I ponder mathmatically my wood needs.
I am going to listen to loud music!
2. In progress ELO
I am going to party like it's 1999!!

TOMORROW,
is church and after that.....put-up-a-new-roof-day
I started ripping the 5+ layers of shingles and left the bottom layer of original cedar shakes intact till tomorrow.I grunted and I groaned, there is a pile of old shingles on the front yard that will be additional work. It was tough, tougher than I anticipated and I may actually have to take off from work on Monday to complete this job. The roof is bad, real bad.
I am going to insulate and sheath it then shingle it. It is only 200+/- sf. This is serious man work. I already called out at church ( I was usher) something I never do....but a roof is a roof and my family needs one even if it is only over the computer room. So I sit here; filthy from the roof...scarfing up blue organic tortilla chips and Green Mountain Gringo Salsa (Hot) and life is good. I certainly could have afforded to have someone do this....something I have not been always able to say or do (afford it) but, I don't know....there is something about this type of labor, labor I am capable of that it is reminiscient of the time I chopped down a 40' maple tree in my backyard with four garages within 25' and one garage abutting the tree...that one I could not afford to have someone do (I kept calling them and hoping the tree surgeons would lower their prices) and today the tree is gone and when the tree went down....the main trunk that is;
I stood on it.
Soon, God willing, I will stand on a new roof.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I must admit I'm quite impressed because that's not my idea of fun. Of course that's probably why I live in a condo. May God be with you...and your new roof!