Thursday, March 01, 2012

Mr. Jones and me.....


"Mr. Jones and me staring at the video"


It was in the early 70's as I held a 9-volt transistor radio to my ear and heard Paul McCartney and Wings playing Uncle Albert with it's many layers of transcending styles...this is when I would like to think I discovered music that afternoon in sunny Hilltop, NJ as I stood in my driveway. 


Then I think back to riding in the car with my dad (which ALWAYS made me carsick) and hearing my dad singing along to the likes of 5th Dimension..."up, up and away in my beautiful, my beautiful balloon...." or "here's to you,  Mrs. Robinson, Jesus loves you more then you will know wo, wo, wo". And it was just about 2007 when I finally got to see Paul Simon and took my dad, figured he would enjoy it. We had incredible seats at the Tower Theater and one of my fondest memories of the evening was after all was said and done; my dad looked at me and said- "did he (Paul Simon) write all of those songs?", grinning I replied, "yes, and then some". 


And then there was The Monkees. Silly, fun and in COLOR television with MUSIC! I don't really remember when I watched them other then that late afternoon range, after school. Not sure if it was 60's or the 70's,  I just know I loved them and looked forward to watching them and their adventures. Just having the theme song come on was enough to make me prance and dance around as if there was no tomorrow. 


They were cool and watching them somehow elevated my coolness and for this I am thankful.


Hey, hey we're The Monkees
and People say we monkey around
but we're too busy singing 
To put anybody down





No comments: