Monday, August 29, 2005

Music Question

What song "turned you on" to music?

The first songs I remember hearing were:
Up, up and Away-5th Dimension
Can't Get it Out of My Head-ELO

But the song that made me pursue music above all other songs...the song that made me "stop" in my tracks and say....what was that???
Uncle Albert-Sir Paul McCartney
I was about 9 years old

I want to include China Grove by the Doobie Brothers in this 'cause I saw a garage band perform this song live at a small firehouse type party for the marching band (think parades) I was in ( I played the cymbals and bass drum) when I was about 11....the intro to the song (GUITAR) blew me away....and that is when I 1st danced to music (think David Byrne).
BTW the name of the marching band was the Royalettes and we wore white puffy shirts with purple stripped pants, 70's guys, with white furry marching band hats.

6 comments:

adam said...

Actually the first two songs to ever wake me up were:

Walk This Way by Run DMC and Aerosmith (I missed the original, but was awakened by the remake).

Let's Go Crazy by Prince and the Revolution.

Anonymous said...

you can tell Adam is younger

Anonymous said...

wow, good question... God Only Knows by the Beach Boys, or Wouldn't It Be Nice... there was also I'm So Tired and Happiness Is A Warm Gun by the Beatles, it really affected me... so did Sexy Sadie by the Beatles... it was just a big beatles collage in my ears from that moment on and from there i started to listening to everything i could get my hands on.

Tater_Pez said...

The BEATLES are awesome...period.

James Y said...

Sweet Emotion by Aerosmith. Aerosmith's Greatest Hits is the first compact disc I ever bought, right before the single of Bryan Adams' Everything I Do (I Do It For You) - a song as unnecessary as the parentheses that surround the surtitle. Thank God for Aerosmith, otherwise Bryan Adams would have been my first taste of purchased music.

Tater_Pez said...

see there is a God....or else James would have had to list Bryan Adams.....
One of the first three albums I ever owned was Toys in the Attic which included both the song you listed and the original version of what Adam picked. My favorite Aerosmith album dates back to "Back in the Saddle"...simple straightforward ROCK!